GOVERNMENT TAKES ACTION TO STEM CORRUPTION BY CURRENT AND FORMER DRC OFFICIALS
Steps taken underscore commitment to improving governance
KINSHASA, JUNE 26 2015— Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) President Joseph Kabila this week asked the government’s public prosecutor to investigate several current and former government officials on charges of corruption, fraud and misappropriation of funds as part of the government’s commitment to advancing reliable and transparent governance in the DRC.
“Our people must be able to trust their government, and President Kabila is committed to doing everything possible to preserve the public’s faith in both their elected and appointed representatives,” said Minister of Communication and Media Lambert Mende.
Mende explained that the charges are part of the president’s commitment to Congolese citizens to root out corruption. This was “a message to say that enough is enough. We have to stop this [corruption] in our country. The president talks about anti-corruption every year when he gives his speech in parliament; but now, his office has a special adviser and [he] is acting as he was asked to do,” Mende continued.
The formal complaint again more than a dozen current and former officials includes charges of accepting bribes, customs fraud and other acts of corruption. Regarding the names of those submitted to the attorney general, Mende explained, “it is for the prosecutor to disclose the names.”
Mr. Luzolo Bambi Lessa, the DRC’s special presidential advisor on fighting corruption and a former Minister of Justice, said this week that the “President has performed his responsibility” in combatting “endemic corrupt” in the DRC, and that the justice system must now perform its role in addressing these serious charges. This is Mr. Luzolo Bambi Lessa’s first action as anti-corruption special adviser since President Kabila appointed him to the position earlier this year.
For more information, please contact:
Follow us on Twitter at: